12 August 2005

Peter Jennings

Smoking did not fully kill my father 37 years ago, but it sure didn't help. In July 1968, a few days after having a canerous lung removed, my dad died at age 33. I was five, going to turn 6 in just 2 months. I remember very little of that time. I have flashes of my dad and memories, but I often think most of those memories have been implanted by my Uncle, who obviously respected and loved my father. I treasure those memories he tells of my dad, for he knew just as well as my mother.
Still, as the US reacts to the death of ABC news man Peter Jennings from lung cancer, I cannot wonder why people still want to smoke. True, I've had a few cigarettes, but never got addicted to them. I mean, really, I should be the last person to smoke.
Jennings legacy might be that he gave the incentive for others to quit. Even as I hope none of my nieces and nephews take it up. With my brother-in-law now dying from lung cancer -and who continues to smoke - I ask myself if all the stress that is going on in their lives, especially Steven (as he continues his angsty ways), will he sucumb to it?
The death of Jennings made me feel sad, though I suspected back in April when he signed off, he would never return to his hosting duties. I know what lung cancer can do, and for guys, it's much more difficult to survive it. But as a fan of ABC news (both nationally and locally here in Chicago), I will miss him. He did have a freindly face and manner that seemed to escape both Brokaw and Rather. His voice was always strong, filled with emotion. I watched his non-stop coverage of 9/11 and still remember his 24 hr stint bringing in the year 2000. While the Right will call him a liberal of the most extreem (I remember one Right-winger who pointed out that during the Clinton impeachment stuff, Jennings called a senator an "extreme right-winger" while making no mention of Edward Kennedy's sometimes way too the Left ideals), but I felt he tried to be honest. Sometimes, he failed. Still, as journalist, he was far superior to any of the entertainers that make up FOXNEWS. That might be because he was a journalist. People like Anne Coulter and Sean Hannity are silly entertainers who by hook or by crook, got on TV just because they had opposing views just for the sake of having them.
Rest in peace, Peter.
We hardly knew you.

No comments: