21 October 2005

What I like


Music, for me at least, leaves me mostly with a bad taste in my mouth. Generally, today's music sucks and will be forgotten by next week. "Singers" such as Mirah Carey, Brittney Spears and Jennifer Lopez will never be remembered the same way as Elvis, BB King, Ella Fitzgearld or The Beatles are today.

20 or 30 years from now, it will be Jennifer who?

So, every once in a while, a singer will come along and just sweep me off my feet.

Mike Doughty, the former lead singer for Soul Coughing, is my latest cannot stop listening to CD. His debut solo CD, Haughty Melodic, is a wonder to listen to. His voice and lyrics come off each track and make you feel good.

Here's a quick list of some other CD's that I find brilliant (some old, some new):

American Idiot - Green Day (THE BEST album of 2004, bar none)
Hopes and Fears -Keane
Devils + Dust -Bruce Springsteen
Chariot -Gavin DeGraw
O -Damien Rice
Wandering Eyes -Dylan Rice (a Chicago gay boy who sings great)
Hot Fuss -The Killers
Van Lear Rose -Loretta Lynn
and

anything by Rufus Wainwright

No comments: