05 October 2006

Emma Watson dropping out of the final two Harry Potter films?

Emma Watson is hinting that she may not return to play Hermione Granger for the final two Harry Potter films. The now 16 year-old, filming Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, has stated that she's unsure if she'll commit to The Half-Blood Prince or the final, yet un-named 7th film. "I don't know yet. Every film is so huge and it's a long time. I love to perform but there are many other things I love doing."

Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint have made it known they are in for the long haul, returning for all seven films.

While I can understand her concern -after all she'll be 20 by the time the series is finished - on other hand, I can't see why she would give up this great gig. One that has set her up for life.

Still, I suppose, as an actor you need to explore new roles and new challenges. She's already commited 6 years of her life to the franchise, with at least 4 more years to go. At 10 years, that is a long time playing one role and the down time between films is so short, she and the rest of the actors have little chances to do other things.

This might be a ploy, but if it is, I'm unsure of her strategy. Warner Bros. could loose millions if she chooses not to return; fans could be turned off by a new actress playing a beloved character.

But if she is holding out for more money, I'm sure the studio would be willing to throw caution to the wind and re-cast the role.

This bares watching.



No comments: