19 October 2006

Grey's Anatomy star T.R. Knight outs himself

According to TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, Grey's Anatomy actor T.R. Knight confirms he is gay:

The actor confirmed to People this afternoon that rumors about his sexual orientation have not been greatly exaggerated. "I guess there have been a few questions about my sexuality, and I'd like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there," he said in a statement. "While I prefer to keep my personal life private, I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me."

What precipitated this confirmation seems to have been the recent behind the scenes turmoil at the hit ABC medical drama, especially between stars Isaiah Washington and Patrick Dempsey. What was once thought as just tabloid rumors (via The National Enquirer), was later confirmed by reps at ABC: back on October 9, both Dempsey and Washington were arguing about delays, when they nearly came to fisticuffs.

But was Knight’s outing of himself of his own free will, or the other rumor that Enquirer noted about Washington? They reported that during their fight, Washington yelled to Dempsey "I'm not your little faggot like (name deleted)."

The National Enquirer never printed Knight’s name, and refused to reveal the source who told them of the incident, but now that the actor has confirmed it to the press (well, as close as you get to press with People Magazine), was what Washington said true?

Anyway, I'm happy for Knight, but if this slur did take place, I'm hoping Washington's reps issue something. And maybe, ABC saying something other than the usual, non-committal “we are all happy” workers.

No comments: