18 July 2007

Altitude testing?

Generally, I avoid talking about work, if only because its not that interesting. And since I will not be there for the Harry Potter release this weekend, I don't think I can even say anything about that.

Still, the customers sometimes can be funny, in the most idiotic sort of way, and bring sunshine to my life.

Had a gentleman come in today, looking for books on "altitude testing." Both Conant and I turned to each other. Both of us sort of said What? with out speaking. I asked him if he meant military study guides? Nope, he said altitude testing again.

Then the light bulb went off in my head. Did you mean aptitude testing, I asked.

Sure enough, that's what he wanted. So I took him over to the reference section, but I told him I didn't think I had much of anything on that subject (as it turned out, I had one). He insisted on telling me why he needed such a book -apparently he was applying for a warehouse job driving a fork lift and all, and was surprised he had to take a test - but while he tried his hardest to cover up his mistake about what he was looking for in the first place, the more I wanted to escape from him.

Don't get me wrong, he was nice, super nice, but had I stayed with him (and I was approaching nearly 15 minutes) I would've needed to chew a leg off. Or my ear, as he was talking that off!

Still, Conant and I kept giggling about it for the rest of the day.

Altitude testing. Silly, customer.

No comments: