11 December 2007

The Customer is never right

They say customer service sucks these days, that the people who work for companies -especially in the retail market - are jerks. After all, isn't the customer always right?

Nope. Never have been, never will be. But the large corporations are all about the ubiquitous customer service, so much so, the rules they put up don't really mean a thing. All it takes is some jerk to be unhappy about something -whether its a dirty bathroom or trying to return something without a receipt - and most companies fold like a lawn chair. Their policies mean nothing, when the customer suddenly throws in the empty threat that they'll never shop at this store, this company again.

You see, as the USA becomes a more service society, the customers have learned that if you whine enough, they'll get what they want -even if they're wrong in the first place.

Sure, it's not my money, and every manager has the ability to modify store policy. But what's the point of rules if you're going to change them when Joe American cries you fake tears that you're treating them mean?

I actually enjoy helping people, but I do think the cause and effect of this service society is Americans are getting dumber. Plus, they treat us like dirt, yet expect us to treat them with respect. Anyway, they come into our stores expecting us to solve their problems. Expecting us to tell them what to buy, because their lives are so busy watch Dancing with the Stars that they can't pay attention.

When I lived in Chicago, people would come up to me and ask about a certain person that was on WGN Radio (the most listened to talk radio in the Windy City; plus I think its a law that everyone over 50 are required by law to start listening to them) and wnat what ever they were hawking. Of course, they did not know who they were, what the title they wanted, but my gosh, they were on WGN.

I would stare at these people and then calmy explain that most people who work in the retail arena are under 30, and would not listen to WGN Radio. Plus, we work during the day, so when would be the time I could listen (if I even wanted too)?

But it never changes, where ever I live. People are people and they think we can solve their problems. Of course, over the years, I've become an information queen. I've gone out of my way to keep up on the news. Still, I can't hear or see everything. I do get stumped once in a while.

Anyway, getting back to my main point, we need to stop acquiescing to people who obviously are in the wrong. But because they get caught in a lie (and then get hostile, which is human nature at its finest) and then say they'll never shop here again, we capitulate.

I know rules are meant to be bended from time-to-time, but these days that's happening all the time. We're so afraid to lose even one customer -while gaining many more - that we'll throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.

Then, of course, there's the respect thing. We are human beings. We like helping you, but it would help if you came prepared once in a while.

It's all we ask.

No comments: