22 January 2008

Gifted and talented actor Heath Ledger found dead in New York


Like most, I was stunned to hear of the death of Heath Ledger. I would not say I'm a fan, having seen only a handful of his movies and the TV series he produced before he hit it big, but I liked him.

For many gay men, he'll always be remembered for his haunting performance in Brokeback Mountain, as a gay man unable to come to turns with his sexuality. His role as Ennis Del Mar earned him wide spread praise, that included an Oscar nomination for best actor (and there is some irony, that he dies on the day the 2007 Oscar's were announced).

This summer, in what was probably his biggest film of his career, he'll be seen as The Joker in The Dark Knight, the Batman Begins sequel.

While nothing is confirmed, reports indicate that his death may have been accidental. What that means, I'm unsure, as reports say sleeping pills were strewn around his bed where his housekeeper found him.

There is much more to come from this, I know.

No comments: