07 January 2008

More doom and gloom for Borders?

Mike Shatzkin of Publishers Weekly has published what he calls 15 Trends of 2008 that he sees for the book industry. Eight and nine seem very interesting for people like me who work for Borders.

No big surprise, I might add, but alas...


8. B&N will continue to leverage the book trade’s most sophisticated supply chain to lengthen its lead over Borders and all other bricks-and-mortar retailers. (I should disclose that I have consulted with B&N on supply-chain matters; I’ve never worked for Borders. I have no inside sales or financial information about either company).

9. The lack of a competitive supply-chain infrastructure will continue to handicap Borders, hurting both sales and profits. This will lead to a change of ownership control and yet another new plan to revitalize the nation’s number-two bookseller.

No comments: