30 January 2008

Randy Salerno

When growing up -no matter where - you end up watching a lot of local news. And you usually watch one channel, one local news program. Thus, you come attached to those anchors and reporters -some who come and go, and others that stay.

When I lived in Chicago, I always watched WLS -the ABC afflicate. But in later years, I ended up watching WGN -especially the morning news, which while informative, always made me laugh. There was always a sense of fun when you watched, and its anchors like Larry Potash, Robin Baumgarten, Paul Konrad, Roseanne Tellez, Micah Materre, Mike Barz, Bill Weir and Randy Salerno always made you giggle, even during the worst aspects of news.

WGN Morning News was 60% news and 40% fun. The wit of the team, especially Larry, Paul and Randy was awesome.

Tonight, while watching WGN Superstation here, I learned of the tragic death of Randy Salerno on January 24th in a snowmobile accident in Eagle River Wisconsin. He was 45.

And I'm left with a great sadness for a man I never met.

The man had a wit that I can only dream of having and was a hugely funny. A tribute from his friends at WGN -where he worked for 11years - is here

Click on the Noon News Tribute.

His co-workers at the CBS affliate -WBBM- where he worked for the last three years, also paid tribute to him here.

So tonight, while I intended to do other things, I have spent hours watching video from WGN and WBBM. And I realize that since I left Chicago in 2005, the local news is one thing I miss. The LA stations are fine, but nothing can be as good as WGN morning news. And its newscasters like Randy, who while reporting the most horrible news, still could provide a laugh here and there.

I watched his funeral, and listened to the tributes, and cried when his wife spoke. It's funny, I'm 2000 miles away and have not seen him since I left Chicago 2 plus years ago, yet I feel a great loss and sadness for his wife and three children.


No comments: