01 January 2008

Reading by the light of Stephen King

With the WGA strike making TV even more prosaic, I've decided that reading will also fill my 2008.

In one of his last articles for EW for 2007, Stephen King gave his top 10 books of the year. I think, beyond the ones I already have stacked near me, I'll try to read most of them. I respect King, and have been reading his works since 1980 (though to this day, I cannot even begin The Tommyknockers).

So far, I've read one of those titles, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. There are a few others I was already interested in before this issue came out, and they include Dan Simmons historical superntaural novel The Terror (now out in QP), Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon, who wrote two of favorites: Wonder Boys and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

He also recomends The Ghost by Robert Harris, Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski, Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo (I still have Empire Falls yet to read by him), Hollywood Station by Joseph Wambaugh, The Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson and Twilight by William Gray.

I'm unsure if I can get to them, plus the ones I already have here, but I want to try this year.

Here's what else I want to read:

The nonfiction (which always takes me more time than fiction):

Manhunt by James Swanson
The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff
Orson Wells, Volume 2: Hello Americans by Simon Callow
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
Collapse by Jared Diamond

Fiction:

Darkmans by Nicola Barker
Next by Michael Crichton

Of course, this list does not include other titles that will be published in 2008. Stephen King has a new one out January 22 alone.

So with the fall TV season probably more than over, and with only a few new shows I want to watch (The Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles) and the returning (and only 8 episodes) of Lost, if I can turn off the computer, I may actually get to some of them.

And, of course, I got to do all the other things I want to do in 2008.

Jebus, it's going to be fun.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

You simply MUST read "The Tommyknockers"...I'm a lover of all things Stephen King and this is by far my favorite book of his...it's a long read & a little slow in the beginning, but once it starts, you can't put it down!

David said...

I've tried, many times to read that damn novel and find my brain sliding off my spine.

Plus, King fully admits that when he wrote The TommyKnockers, it was at the height of his drug use, and has no real memory of ever wrting it.

Now that's scary