04 July 2008

4th of July

After complaining about work so much, I decided today I'll just say this: It's getting harder and harder to get up each morning and go there.

It's just not fun anymore, you know?

So, anyways, went to work -and for a company trying to cut costs, why have me work today is beyond me. It's just I'll get paid 8 hours for working, plus 8 hours for holiday. Work 8, get paid for 16. While I'm not complaining, it seems rather loopy. But that's Borders Books and Music for ya.

Got home and saw people already setting up to watch the fireworks. I guess the one advantage to living here, is that I can watch the fireworks display right from my front porch. So I made myself some hot dogs, pulled the folding beach chair and sat outside.

A very nice lady named Debbie knocked on my door and asked to sit on my front lawn with her family. And since the people to the left and right of me cordoned off their front lawns like some scene out of CSI, I said yes. Now, I can understand somewhat why they did this -after all, you don't want a bunch of people laying around causing all sorts of problems on your front lawn. Still, none of these people actually own the property. It's a gray are, so I'll give to them. Just does not seem American, what ever that really means.

I brought out housemates boom box, this 1980's style thingy that would've not been out of place on the shoulders of some white kid from the suburbs trying to look cool walking through the local forest preserve. I plugged my iPod into it, and jammed to some tunes.

All in all, a nice display of fire works (look below).

It is also the first weekend since the end of May that I have nothing to do. No place to go, no gas to lose (though I paid 4.41 on Wednesday, which was 4 cents cheaper than last week and 8 cents cheaper than a fortnight ago. Don't know if it means a damn thing, but ya for David).

Suppose to be hot this week, really hot. So I might get up early and go bike riding before the sun starts baking like pancake on a griddle. Otherwise, I need to read. I've barley picked up How I Paid for College.

But there is the season finale of Doctor Who. I'm really curious how Journey's End will top last weeks episode.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

The people who cordoned off their grass? I've never met them, but they are bitter and uptight.