04 November 2008

NO on 8 -yep I VOTED!

Well, I voted.

And I, of course, voted NO on Prop 8.

Personally I do think they should call it a Civil Partnership or whatever. Calling it a marriage seems a lost cause and one I'm not really worried about.

What the YES on Prop fail to mention is that what we gays a really fighting for is the rights of our partner's benefits and other financial issues that straight couples get. If my partner dies, and he has a pension, I'm not entitled to it like a straight married couple is. Financial guru Suzie Orman has been saying this for years, that she finds it sad that when she dies, her partner - a woman - will not get any of her money and vise versa.

That's what this all about, really. Gay couples should get everything straight couples get -whether married or not, cause even common law gives the spouse the pensions and inheritance.

Plain and simple.

Fine, don't call it a marriage (but I will fight a constitutional change, if only because its unnecessary), but we should be entitled to our partners stuff when they die.

To deny us this, is to discriminate against us. And that, my friends, is where hate is born.

No comments: