09 May 2008

Movie blah

One my coworkers see's movies all the time. He's pretty open to most thing, meaning he'll watch just any genre. He'll also go and see the films that open on Midnight. Last week he saw Iron Man and last night he saw Speed Racer.

He teases me because, thanks to a housemate who's a GM for Edwards Theaters, I can see movies for free. And I don't. And it's not like I have to go far, as there is huge movie house with in a few minutes walking.

I have yet to see a film in 2008. And probably will not see one until Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opens in a fortnight.

One of the reasons is that I hate going by myself. Much like eating out -that would be a nice restuarant and not a trip to In 'n' Out - going to the movies by myself is akin to telling the world I'm a single guy who has no hopes of ever getting into a relationship. Funny part of it was that I used to do it all the time when I was younger.

Of course, like everyone else, going to the movies has become a pain. People think only for themselves and the groups of people they go with. They talk like they're in their living rooms. Chat on the phone -despite the nice trailer on the screen asking them to silence them - They use their mobile phones as lights when the fiulm is running, which is annoying.

Talking during the film is also irritating, so that's another strike. Plus, I'm picky. I won't see a movie just because everyone else does. I hate horror films, and is usually turned off by the blockbuster tentpole films the major studios put out.

I do like seeing small, indepentant films, but living here in the suburbs, they don't tend to make it out here, and I'll be damned if I'm going to drive 45 miles into LA to see an art house film.

Finally, I think, with the window between theatrical release and DVD release getting smaller, I would rather wait and rent the one I really want to see.

The sad part, as my co-worker is now understanding, I would rather read than see a film.

No comments: