12 May 2008

To bike or not to bike

I've been torn about riding my bike to work. It's 14 miles to Victoria Garden, and riding my bike usually takes on average, about one hour and 15 minutes and some change. When I work at 7 am (on Monday and Tuesday) I need leave at 5:30am. On days that I would start at 6 am, I would need to be out at 4:30, and that ain't going to happen. Because, during the winter, it's still pitch black outside, and while I have stuff on and a bike light blinking, I sort of do fear for my life. Now that it's getting lighter nearlier, it might be better. But to leave at 4:30 am and ride 80% of that ride in the dark(now, with summer approaching, but in winter, it would be 100%), I just can't seem to do it. Sure, two days a week would save me money on gas and what not, but I fight myself to do this.

Take today, I woke up around 4am with a splitting headache. Felt like someone was using an ice pick and sticking it behind my right eye. So great, I had planned to ride the bike. But I would need to get up in an hour, and there was no way the headache was going to go away. So, I slept until 6 and did my normal things I do to prepare for work.

I felt guilty, as I always do, when it comes to excercise. I'm getting thick around the middle, and I would like to lose it, but I have no ambition anymore.

Still, it was a cloudy and cool day here -though they promise nicer, warmer and hotter weather by Thursday - and as I left work it began to rain. Not a hard one, but enough to get one wet had one had rode their bike this morning and had to ride it agin home. I would've been some what soaked, I guess.

So maybe it was a sign?

Of course, the rain precipitated me getting new wiper blades, something I've avoided for a while. The nice lesbian lady at the Kragen auto parts helped me out of $24 (blades and washer fluid, which I also needed). Of course, I don't know if she was lesbian, but she did fit the profile: tall, fairly apple shaped, with mullet of sorts for hair and walked with a mans gate. It was a profile in stereotyping really, me the queen not really knowing how to change my wiper blades, and here the big, burley lesbian helping me out in 2.4 seconds.

I'm bound to go back, because she was great with the customer service. And I like that.

No comments: