05 August 2005

Moving

Moving is a pain. I suppose that's why I lived here in this apartment for 10 years. As year 11 began in July, as I began to lose the unemployment checks, as I was forced to return to Borders full-time, I began to wonder if moving was not a good idea. After all, everything I talk to Bill in California, he kept mentioning how much he wanted me out there. I mean, I planted the seed back in February, but I guess he really warmed to the idea. To be honest, I never thought it would happen. I mean I thought I would find a job and then the silly idea would be done with.

But as the months passed and no job was gotten, I thought maybe after 18 year in the book business, maybe it was my first, best destiny to remain in it. Of course, I have no desire to run my own Borders, unless I can do it the way it should. I don't mind being fiscally responsible, but I would also be more flexible in rules. Borders wants an ambassadors as manager -someone who will capitulate to all, even when sometimes, the customer is wrong. I work well with staff, knowing that there is a line between work and games.
And I know that no matter what I do, no matter how happy and gee wiz I am, the customer still will treat us like dirt. Customer survey's claim we are rude, but they don't see what mess we have to clean up after when they decide they are too lazy to put away the magazines they read. Yes, we are hired to help, and keep the store in ship shop shape, but we are not maids. They would not like me coming into their homes and offices and messing them up, why should they do it to ours?
Anyway, I've decided to move. I've asked for a transfer to a new Borders in Rancho Cucamunga, about 15 miles from were Bill lives in La Verne. I foresee no issues that will prevent me from getting this transfer, but I will be working Christine to make sure that when I leave here in a few weeks, I will have a job.
I'm scared, but I know this is the right time. I've wanted to return to California since the early 1990's. Perhaps this was all destiny?

No comments: