13 July 2024

Books: The Guncle Abroad By Steven Rowley (2024)

“It’s been five years since Patrick’s niece Maisie and nephew Grant spent the summer with him in Palm Springs, playing caretaker after their mother’s passing. The kids are back in Connecticut with their dad, and Patrick has relocated to New York to remain close by and relaunch his dormant acting career. After the run of his second successful sitcom comes to a close, Patrick feels on top of the world professionally. But some things have had to take a back seat. Looking down both barrels at fifty, Patrick is single again after breaking things off with Emory. But at least he has a family to lean on. Until that family needs to again lean on him. When Patrick's brother, Greg, announces he’s getting remarried in Italy, Maisie and Grant are not thrilled. Patrick feels drawn to take the two back under his wing. As they travel through Europe on their way to the wedding, Patrick tries his best to help them understand love, much as he once helped them comprehend grief. But when they arrive in Italy, Patrick is overextended managing a groom with cold feet; his sister, Clara, flirting with guests left and right; a growing rivalry with the kids’ charming soon-to-be-launt (lesbian aunt), and two moody young teens trying to adjust to a new normal, all culminating in a disastrous rehearsal dinner.”

It seems logical for author Steven Rowley to return to his one book that seemed to get universal appeal, the one book that anyone could read and not take too much offense with it. I’ve liked this authors books, even the overly-ambitious The Celebrants, and doing a sequel to a beloved tome is always fraught with danger, but in the end, I enjoyed being back in Patrick’s world, even if I felt the sitcom jokes got in the way of any real character development. Still, I got a lot of Patrick’s obscure pop culture jokes (I know many young people in their thirties that would never get the Doublemint Twin joke, let alone those even younger) and because they landed for me, it made me feel a bit less grumpy; it’s like there is someone out there who thinks in the same way I do.

Anyways, the trio spend a few weeks gallivanting around the most tourist guide-book types of European hotspots as they count – oh, to be this rich and white. There are a few great set pieces here, the Sound of Music tour being the best, but the sort of slapstick, yet sad wedding rehearsal comes to mind as well.

Anyways, as they travel, Patrick gets a glimpse into Maisie’s feelings about getting a stepmother at fourteen  –even if she and her brother seem enamored with Livia’s sister, Palmina, the new lesbian aunt (who they call Launt). Grant seems less enthused with it as well, but because he was so young when his mother passed, I sense he’s more open to having his Dad remarry.

As I mentioned in my take on The Guncle, I can understand both the kids’ feelings on this. Losing a parent was hard as a child, and while I had no one to really talks to about my feelings, it’s great to see that today when a child does loose a parent, and there are a team of relatives and what not to help them cope. And though I took two tries, once my Mom settled into her third marriage, I got the best stepdad anyone could ask for. Still, even her second marriage was not so bad –he had his own issues (a hero complex), but he gave my Mom the ability to grow.

Much like The Guncle, in The Guncle Abroad you have a feel good book for summer –and those brought up in the 1970s will get a lot of Patrick’s jokes. It’s a fun, and sometimes funny look, at our current times, even if my family is somewhat dysfunctional. But like any book that features a somewhat lovable family that somehow gets along, it’s also a fantasy. But one I wish now –at end of my own dysfunctional life- I could’ve had.

No comments: