14 January 2008

Rumblings from the Center


One of the most important questions about my life is: what do you want to do with the rest of your life?

And the sad fact is, I have no idea. I think, maybe, that it lies in helping people. In some ways, its an extension of customer service. But, I'm unsure even if that is really what it means.

Lyly was in the store today, and she asked that question, after hinting that if I wanted to move over to Mira Loma, I should apply.

I know that I have the perfect job for one who works retail. I work a M-F shift, no weekends, no nights. I'm smart enough to know that's what I want to continue. However, I would be stupid if some better job -one that makes me feel alive again - and I turned it down because I have to work nights.

Then again, shoots on Hidden Frontier could go long, like 10 or 12 hours. And they happen on weekends. So go figure.

I have no faith, which maybe my biggest problem. I say I want to leave Borders and retail behind like a bad debt, yet I know I'll still be with Borders come Christmas 2008. It's the anchor that keeps me from going places.

Like my mother, I lack the courage to take chances and see just where that road goes, besides west; where those stairs go, besides up. True, I picked myself up and moved here, to the Golden State. But, beyond the lovely weather -like today - my fortunes remain rather stale, like old perfume.

Move along home, David. Move along.

No comments: