23 January 2008

Star Trek teaser grabs the ire of purist fans; me, I'm mellow about it


I’m trying to mellow with age, you know. It’s something I’m actually working on. I guess, I just can no longer be bothered by certain things. Take for example the Star Trek teaser that was just released online (and in theaters attached to the Cloverfield monster movie.). Now as a fan, and not an over obsessed purist, I can take what certain liberties director JJ Abrams will do with the reboot due this Christmas.

The writers, along with the director, are known to be huge fans of the 42 year-old franchise. And given the chance to, more or less save it from itself (see Voyager and Enterprise), I’m hoping they deliver a great picture.

Now the teaser, somewhat ambiguously, shows construction workers welding something big while excerpts from the Apollo 11 mission are heard, words from President Kennedy . It eventually pulls back to show the saucer section with the name USS Enterprise emblazoned on it in big letters held in giant construction scaffolding as Leonard Nimoy says "Space...Where No Man Has Gone Before". Dissolve to the Federation symbol glowing in blue outline (with the original series transporter effect heard) and the words “Under Construction” and “Christmas 2008" are displayed.

Now, some fans are saying that the Enterprise was built in space (and according to lore, Starfleet built Utopia Planitia in orbit of Mars just to build ships) and not on Earth, as the trailer implies. This, they’re already saying, will be the reboots main mission: to ignore the Canon of Trek. As far as I know, that has never been confirmed on screen (which is what is called The Canon of Trek), and books and other resource materials do not count.

They are saying that a ship “under construction” would not have the name of the ship put on it, until its complete. And there’s also something about the nacelles that seem out of place.

What I saw was a teaser. If I was a betting man, I would say this has absolutely nothing to do with the movie. All we really know about the film is that its set sometime between the first pilot, The Cage, and the second one, Where No Man Has Gone Before. It features Leonard Nimoy returning as Spock, suggesting that time-travel plays within plot (as it also features Romulans from the 24th Century). We know the cast, and that’s just about it.

Sure, there has been a many fanboy web sites reporting unreliable information about the production, which has caused the hearts of Star Trek purist -the ones who think the show should never violate canon one bit -to type out loads of whiny assed complaints.

Here’s where the mellowing comes in. Yeah, I was pretty vocal during Enterprise’s TV run. I was -and still am - not keen on going back, and doing an origin type project. After all, most comic book geeks will tell you, origin stories are usually the weakest stories. And, at times, I would get on Enterprise’s ass for violating certain precepts with in the franchise; where they ignored The Canon of Trek for the story.

My real issue with Enterprise was the show sucked big time, with a miscast captain (like Scott Backula, but Jebus he was wrong for this role) and stories that broke many cardinal rules, but the greatest sin they made was the episodes were dull as dishwater and boring.

In many ways, I can ignore minor inconsistences, the changes here and there with what has been established in TOS, TNG and DS9. As long as the story is good. Enterprise failed to make good stories, so I felt justified to complain about that and then make comments about canon being violated.

But before Enterprise began, I tried to keep an open mind. Much like I will do with Abrams’ reboot of the classic series.

So, when I hear people complain that this movie will ignore all that has come before, all I can do is just nod and keep notes to myself.

Once upon a time, I probably was like them-as a matter of fact, I was - but now time and sand has made me just nod and say whatever.

No comments: