09 October 2005

Reading Now



Things that I've been reading:

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - A funny, Douglas Adams inspired (I think) novel from the American Gods writer (along with The Sandman graphic novel series which I can't read, if only because I think this format -along with the wildly popular Manga franchise -is leading teenagers into illiteracy). While light on plot, it none the less reminds me of how silly English people view Americans and how sometimes even English people see themselves.

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab by Gideon Defore -The sequel to The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, another Monty Python inspired romp with The Pirate Captain and his unnamed crew as they meet Cutlass Liz and visit Las Vegas (with an inspired nod to 8 Miles) where they meet up with Ahab, the notoriously moody captain who is searching for his white whale inbetween shows and gambling.

And, of course, Entertaiment Weekly. Though, I hate the Photo Issue. Not only is it stupid and smacks of "this must be a slow news week" but it's also a double issue!! Damn, while the magazine is not Premire, it shows its People style origins with this lame issue.

No comments: