15 October 2005

Tab Hunter Confidential



I was picking up my drink order at Starbucks the other night, my book in hand, when the Barista asked my what I was reading. I showed her the book and told her it was about Tab Hunter. Her face fell a bit, unsure what to say. I then asked her if she had even heard of him, and she admitted she had not. I quickly explained to her that he was the one of the first pretty-boy screen idols of the 1950's, a sort of Ashton Kutchner (a sad comparison, I know) of his day. I showed her the pictures in the book of the handsome "Sigh Guy" and she suddenly understood what the book was all about.

While I’ve seen very little of Hunter’s work, I’ve always been fascinated by him. But he was also part of the old Hollywood that I love so much. And he was just so damn good looking.

The genetic perfect, you love them and hate them. Art Gelien won the genetic lottery and like so many "movie stars" of today, became a hit -even if they had no talent. Still, Tab Hunter turned out not be just another pretty face. Even he knew that his rise to fame came because he had perfect cheekbones and looked very, very, very good shirtless. But unlike today’s pretty-boys, Hunter knew he could be better and was determined to show the world that there was something below the surface.

Tab Hunter Confidential is perhaps the best autobiography of Hollywood superstar I’ve read. With honesty and a great sense of humor, Hunter takes us on a glorious ride through old Hollywood, when the studio ways were ending. Where movies began to be pitched towards teenagers instead of adults, where character pieces and epic story telling were pushed aside for empty, marshmallow war dramas and beach films.

And where being gay was almost as bad as being a communist.

I don’t remember where I first saw a picture of Hunter, but I had heard of him from my mother, who, while 4 years younger than him, was the demographic the his films vied for. And, when I first saw Polyester back in the 80's, I knew deep down in me that Hunter was gay. After all, it took one to know one. Still handsome, I would look through old Hollywood books and see his picture and sort of think that had I been around during his popularity, I would’ve been one of his biggest fans.

Years later, when I saw his striking image on the cover of Shirtless! The Hollywood Male Physique in 2001, I drooled all over it. The sad thing is I never bought the book for myself, but did give it as a birthday present to a good friend who loved these guys as much as I did.

But I love old Hollywood, as I’ve read many books by the men and women who starred in those great films, to the biography’s of the men who made Hollywood. The sad, one striking thing that remains, is Hollywood’s treatment of gay actors and singers who cannot live openly due to the parochial, conservative attitudes that has run rampant over the last 20 years since AIDS.

For every Rupert Everetts, there are 10 or more who still need to live in the closet because coming out could STILL destroy their careers. Because while this December’s Brokeback Mountain will be one of the first Hollywood films to portray a gay romance, its still played by two heterosexuals (as the studios think that while gay men will see the film, the straight women who take their husbands and boyfriends need the leads of a gay love story to be straight; lest otherwise their fantasies of Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger be taken away. Like every straight man’s dream of being with two women at the same time, I think every straight women’s dream is make a gay man like women).

While Hunter is satisfied with being "forgotten", I will always remember him, if only because of Polyester, Lust in the Dust and the horrible-its-so-good campfest that is Grease 2. Still, he does deserve to commended for surviving the 1950's tabloid years with all his gears in tact. He took his God-given good looks and tried to mold himself into a better person and actor in a time when the word "actor" being replaced by movie stars.

Even at 74, he remains as handsome and charismatic as he was during his golden years. If I ever get a chance to meet him, I would love to tell him that he will always be remembered by me. That sounds a bit creepy, but I say it only because he is someone to be admired and respected. And he deserves much more than a footnote in history as just the Sigh Guy.

David

No comments: