14 June 2008

Last Week, Part 2

Excelsior Ball III began on Friday, around 1 pm. Due to the lack of sleep and just having no energy, I did not get to the Raddison until after 4. There I saw some fans who were at the Studio and a few who came on Friday.

Conventions on a whole no longer interest me. I could go into a long, and very winded discussion as to why, but then I would probably piss off a lot of sci fi guys and girls. Just to say, that some of the fans are a bit clingy.

Dinner was at Subway down the street from the hotel, where me, Tobey, Michael, Ryan, Will, Richard, Alex, Andrew, Sharon, and Adam all enjoyed our meal. We headed back to the hotel for some episodes of HF and ODY, and then, eventually, bed.

Two things happened that night, one which I missed, and another I whish I missed. It seems, apparently, later on in the evening a group of people -fans and some cast - got around the piano in the lobby of the hotel and sang half the night away.

Not knowing of this, I went to bed and tried to sleep. Tried, being the word in only the vaguest sense. Alex, whom I shared a room with, snore like he was cutting half the forest in upper Washington state. And since I still have problems sleeping outside of my own bed, I could not get to sleep. I was so tired, yet even with ear plugs, Alex's noise kept me awake most of the night. Sleep came, but only in fits, at around 4 am. I was then up at 7.

So, Saturday came early for me. Stephen and I ventured out to I Hop for breakfast. I enjoy being with Stephen, and we seem to have many things in common. But while I would not mind spending a whole lot more time with him, he seems not to see me in that way.

So, God laughs at me again. I find a guy I'm willing to be open with, who is actually only 5 years younger than me, and he seems only midly interested. Then agian, maybe I'm pushy.

Anywho, Saturday's events went with out a hitch. And after a long day, we all went to Cozeymel's for "dinner with the stars." It was a nice, fun dinner with the fans and cast and crew.

We got back to the hotel at a little after 10, where people went various places. Some headed back to the piano and eventually -with more people - we sang more showtunes and gospel tunes while Beo or Andrew played the piano.

About an hour or so into the singing, a really handsome guy came out of the elevator and saw us. He smiled at the group and I sensed he wanted to join in, but he vanished a few minutes later. Only to turn up a few minutes later with a bottle of vodka.

It turns out this handsome, hot guy was named David, from New Zealand. He was an army guy passing through the LA area on his way to the UK. He saw us having fun and he wanted to join in the games. The vodka he poured around was awful, some kiwi stuff. But, oddly, you could not stop drinking it.

The party in the lobby went on until I could no longer stand up -not from drink, but just tired. Alex had gone up to bed already, and Jason (for member of the USS Angeles series and Hidden Frontier's predecessor) was sleeping on the floor of our hotel room.

As we got ready for bed, Jason and I got a talking about Jason's relationships. He seems to have broken up with his last two boyfriends mainly because he said he felt trust was lost. He was unclear on what that meant, but I gather from his talking that Jason thinks he needs to be successful in life - a career, money and all those things that go with it - before he can really settle down. It's like he wants to be the traditional husband, but in the gay way.

We talked on and on for about two hours, before I realized it was 20 minutes to 4. Sleep was not going to come easily for me again, and I must've only gotten something close to two hours before I got up at 8:15 to shower and grab a bite to eat over at Subway.

The final day of EBIII was slow, as most people -both cast and crew - did not get going until after 12 pm. The convention wrapped at 5 with a heartfelt speech from Rob (who hates getting up in front of people) and dedication plaque Jonathan had made up for Federation One - the next spin-off from Hidden Frontier.

It was there, I learned two things. My name was included on the plaque and Rob had shown the opening credits to Fed One. Apparently, my name is in the opening cast list. I knew I was playing Selek, the Vulcan Admiral, but I did not know it was going to be part of the cast. I thought it was just a "guest star" role.

So, EBIII came to a close. But the week was not over, and as I headed home with Alex (who was to stay over two-nights at my house), I pondered the Away Missions planned for Monday and Tuesday. I also wondered if I was going to get any sleep.

Can we say no way?

To be continued....


No comments: