06 January 2008

Best music of 2007 -Part 1

I have a small cirlce of friends, though since moving to the LA area over two years ago, it's gotten bigger. Still, there are few of my friends that I could say those true-in-the-dye friends, the ones who accept you for all your faults (and will tell you what they are, BTW, but never in any cruel sort of way) and love you no matter what.

One friend in Chicago, has truly been that. And yet, I guess, I never realized that until I left Illinois. His name is Marc, and he hold a very special place in my heart for many reasons others do not. He is tall, gregarious guy with a smile and dimples that light up any room he's in. He is smart beyond anything, and loves music like I like chocolate; he needs it everyday.

At the end of the year, one thing I look forward to his thoughts on what was the best music of the year. Now his taste goes all over the place, as he is a true connoisseur. And because he knows what I like, he generally keeps me in the loop for new and upcoming bands, guys and girls who are producing music that means something.

While I appreciate and support singer/songwriters more than anything else, I do like a bands that try to step out of the box of top 40 pop music.

Anyways, here is his list for the best of (which I think is more real than anything any magazine puts out):

Best Albums:

The Editors – An End Has a Start. I feel like I found a new band that I will now follow until the end. Such a great, emotional, alt rock epic. Fans of Kitchens of Distinction (almost identical but in the best way!), Snow Patrol, U2, and Coldplay will have a new favorite.

Nicole Atkins/Neptune City – Like Mama Cass produced by Goldfrapp and Amy Winehouse. Gorgeous!!! If you don’t have this, get it now.

Roscoe/The Trials of Van Occupanther – An odd mix of indie rock and 70’s era Fleetwood Mac. Can’t explain but it totally works. Great chillout CD.

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss/Raisin’ Sand – Who knew their colaboration would work? Sounds closer to Zep’s mellower output than anything Plant has done in his sketchy solo career. Completely works.

Reminder/Feist – Can she top her brilliant debut. Yes. Can’t imagine what Leslie has left in her after 2 near flawless CDs.

Ryan Adams/Easy Tiger – His best CD since Heartbreaker. It’s what we want from Ryan: sadness put to an alt country sound. High, high lonesome.

Lori McKenna/Unglamorous – I feel the way about this Nashville singer/songwriter that many feel about Patty Griffin. She pours so much emotion into her complicated yet indentifiable songs. Best song: I Know What Your Next Love Will Be Like…about imagining your recent breakup falling in love with someone new. Been there!

Once Soundtrack/Glen Hansard – Like Sweeney Todd, you have to see the film to fully get the impact of this tender collection. Near flawless. Even better than the music from his day job, The Frames. And I love The Frames.

Tracey Thorn/Out of the Woods – I knew her solo outing would be wonderful. She could sing the McDonalds menu and I’d swoon. But this was beyond expectation. More Tracey, we need more.

Matt Nathanson/Some Mad Hope – I wish Matt wasn’t lumped in with all the frat boy pop (Howie Day, etc) which keeps him from some more serious fans, but hopefully this will broaden his already strong base. Every song could be a single on this pop rock masterpiece. The best: Wedding Dress. Now if someone will just tack this song onto the end of a Grey’s episode, he’d be set!

Paul Oakenfold/Greatest Hits and Remixes – This is unexpected since I was never a massive fan, but this collection featuring some really great old school mixes from Underworld, Mansun, Dirty Vegas, Radiohead, Olive and the quintessial version of EBTG’s Missing (2007) is just staggeringly fun. Look for the unmixed version available for download online. It has extra tracks done under his Perfecto moniker.

To be continued...

No comments: