12 July 2008

Washing the car and paying for gas

I've never been one of those guys that washed his car every week, or every other day. A car has always been a means of travel for me, not a status symbol. So, it's not very often that I do wash it. When I was living in Chicago area, I would wash it a couple of times during the winter, but it was only to get the corrosive salt they used on the roads to melt the snow and ice. During the summer time, I hardly washed it at all.

Since moving here, I've sort of got in the habit of not washing it. Mostly because of the dust that gets blown around here. Living in a near desert area, dirt is an everyday annoyance.

So today, on a whim, I decided to wash my car. To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I actually washed the beast. Had to be sometime in 2007. Really, sometime in 2007. It took all of about half hour, and I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Late this afternoon, I decided to go for a walk. I was bored, the house a bit warm. So, I leave and pass by my car parked out in the back. I notice were the water ran down hill, the dirt has left mark on the pavement, like a ring in a tub when washing a particularly dirty child.

It made me realize how dirty my car was. Maybe I should wash it more than once a or twice a year. Plus, I've heard, keeping you car clean prevents drag and thus save money on gas.

Speaking of gas, I paid 4.35 a gallon on Friday. Three weeks ago, I paid 4.49, one week later I paid 4.45, and this week 10 cents less. So, it went down nearly 20 cents in three weeks. Pretty good, but its bound to rise again.

No comments: