29 July 2008

5.4 Earthquake rattles the IE

In the three years I've lived here, this was my first quake that I was awake to experience. I've felt a few, low Richter scale ones, like someone kicking a chair or slamming a door.

I was at work, sitting in the break room. At first it sounded like the garbage people dropping off an empty container. When they drop it, it makes a terrible noise, plus shakes the store.

But this went on and there was one good tug, and then it ended. All in all, for about 10 seconds. It didn't scare me, but it was, interesting. A few things were knocked off the shelf at work, but beyond that it was uneventful (beyond knocking the land lines out in IE for about an hour, causing the mobile phone's to then take the burden of people calling everyone).

The local news loved it, though. After all, at 5.4, it's the first quake of this size in an urban area since 1994's Northridge. So, yeah, KTLA devoted 6 hours of coverage - a bit overkill, but you know, what else where they doing?

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

I was irritated to try to watch the news only to find out that "due to licensing restrictions" the video cannot be streamed in Canada.