10 June 2007

If I take a spill it's me

Yesterday I took a tumble off my bike.

Since I started riding again a few months ago, I've had "issues" with my tires. Well, really with the inner tubes. I replaced the front one twice, after buying the $3 cheap one. I eventually bought the $6 self-sealing one and now have no problems.

I replaced the rear tire with the cheap one, also. It loses air everytime it sits, but never when I ride it. So, with that in mind -and because I bought a pump - I've yet to replace that one with the more expensive self-sealing one.

But, the one problem I seem not to able to correct is getting that rear tire centered between two bars. It seems that after a while, the tire sort of moves closer to the side bar, rubbing against and slowing me down.

So yesterday, I stopped at an innersection for a stop light -after passing three cars on the side of Foothill who got into a minor fender bender. Somehow, I missed the warning.

So, the light turns green, I put all my strength into my left foot to take off and the bike goes nowhere and I tumble, as Helen Mirren once said, tits over heels. I landed on my left side, scrapping my skin off my elbow down my forearm. I also had the wind knocked out me -something that has not happened since I was kid. It was brief few seconds of not being able to suck in any air, but it quickly passed.

I sat there for a few seconds, then realized I was in the street, and got up. I picked up my bike, which just a moment ago had slung me like a bad cowboy off a bull, and dragged it to the side of the road. Sure enough, the rear tire had shifted and grabed hold of the left bar.

My arm was bleeding, I was 10 miles from home and had no tools to fix my bike.

I made my way back west on Foothill, passing where the three-car fender bender had happened. There was a twenty-something girl being comforted by what I guess was her boyfriend. Maybe, I thought, this was her first accident. But I was just as shaken as she was, could I get some lovin from the boy?

I looked across Foothill hoping to see a hardware store, a auto store, anything that sold tools, because I was not pushing my bike all the way home. I saw one of those useless .99 stores (until now, that is).

I trudged across the street, blood oozing down my arm and beginning to feel a pain in the left side of my chest.

Anyways, I was able to buy a wrench and also bought some gauze to clean up my wound. I did have an extra bottle of water, which helped make my arm look a little less like I had just fought a battle -and lost.

I fixed my tire, and headed home.

So, today I looked at my wounds beyond the arm, as I discovered a nice bruise and scrapped skin on my inner thigh, plus I probably bruised a rib, as my left side under my arm is all tender, and sometimes hurts when I take a deep breath. My left arm also hurts, and not only where I turned my skin into road rash.

I did ride this morning, and it was uneventful. I still need to replace the inner tube on the rear tire, but I also think I need to take to the repair place and have them tighten the rear screws better so I don't make an ass out of myself agian.

Plus, I guess, I need to consider buying a helmet. While I came no where near my head when I fell, it could've happened.

So, I feel lucky, if not just a little sore.

1 comment:

Dave said...

David! WHAT the HELL are you doing riding around without a helmet on crappy tubes?! Take the bike into a shop and have the wheels tuned. It'll only be about $20. And buy a helmet - they're only $30. Which is much less than the hospital bill will be for the stitches! Sheesh!

When are you coming back to visit us in Chicago? We miss you! Take care out there. Kisses!

Dave S.