21 June 2007

Musings of a Virgo

I'm a Virgo and I'm supposed to be precise, refined, and a lover of cleanliness, hygiene and order. Conventional, with a rather reserved manner, Virgo's are usually observant, shrewd, critical, and patient. Supporters of the 'status quo', and conservative in all areas of life. Virgos are also undemonstrative due to a coolness in their nature. Very selective, and non committal in friendship, they prefer to keep relationships on a superficial basis.

For the longest time, I've thought to be a fiscal conservative, and a social liberal. These days, I'm leaning more towards conservative views, though I'm gay, so I have a tendecy to be liberal in those issues and abhor religion. Plus, I'm all for small goverment, and no amnesty for people who are here illegally. So, I guess I fit into some of the above ideas of Virgo's.

I am very critical, sometimes to my own mortification. Which may explain why I'm still single, though I have other issues (body mainly, that also covers self-esteem). I also do lack a certain sponaneity, something many Virgos suffer. Like others of this sign, I like plan things in very minute detail. So, what I lack in passion, I make up in clear-cutness. Plus I'm a very hard worker, at times a perfectionist, and run into problems with people because I have a low tolerance for idiocy and crappy work.

This has lead to problems with other people insomuch as I like to be right, and will not listen to other people's POV -even when I know I'm wrong.

Which also effects my work, as I realize that I am a better worker -cause I pay attention to the details, alot of times missing the big picture because of it - than a leader. And while I would not expect others to do what I would not do, I still sometimes go to the pains of doing it myself because I think I can do it better. I also have a habit of turning molehills into moutains. It can border on obsessivness -like making all the soft chairs at work set in one way and the cafe tables and chairs must be set up the same way everyday.

One other trait I do have for a Virgo is that I choose my friends wisely. When you become a friend of my, it's usually for life. I'm very, very particular to whom I will call a friend, because I'm very loyal and that is a rariety indeed in this world.

The reason I started this was because, at times I do not fall into all the ideals of a Virgo, and, even a gay man. But I realize that people are no longer charmed by me. As Spock said in Star Trek VI (yes, geek I am), I've become so old and set in my ways that maybe I've out lived my usefulness, and would that constitute (to the very logical Vulcan and me, the Virgo) a joke?


No comments: