03 October 2008

The Cubs fail again to move towards the winner circle

The Lovable Loser moniker the Chicago Cubs have is starting to wear thin with me. I've been a fan since I was a kid, but I grow weary of this taste of winning, only to see these guys fold like lawn chairs in a mild wind.

After winning the division, the Cubs then went on to beat the Mets to gain home field advantage through out the playoffs. And then the proceeded to let the Dodgers walk all over them at Wrigley. And once again, my hopes and those of thousands of Cub fans are now walking the walk, and talking the the talk of "maybe next year."

What is the Cubs -and Chicago sports teams in general - problem went put on the world stage? It's like they have performance anxiety. Tomorrow the Cubs face the Dodgers here in LA for what could be the final game for them in 2008. I have hopes that they'll win 2 here and then return to Chicago for the final game, but if history is anything, they'll disappoint again.

Like I said, it's hard for me to say that. I want them to win, to put a hundred year dry spell behind them. But I feel that Cubs will never hold that championship. It's their destiny to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

No comments: