11 October 2008

Music to inspire your love of music

My friend Marc over at ORD to LAX wrote about some CD’s that inspired him to love music -what can be don, I guess, when musicians try to produce music that has a lasting effect on people.

Being not much of a music aficionado as Marc is, I pondered his question: What was yours?

One CD that still stands out for me, I guess, would be Green Day’s American Idiot. Got to say, from start to finish, this CD blew me away. A brilliant look at American culture and how some people are just powerless "everyman," desensitized by a "steady diet of soda pop and Ritalin.”

A concept album that harked back to the late 1960's early 70's, American Idiot resonated with me and still does 4 years later, continuing to be ever present on my iPod.

10,000 Maniacs In My Tribe is another CD that had an effect on me, though I’m unsure why (though while I consider it a great album, its follow-ups Blind Man’s Zoo and Our Time in Eden are better CD's). Singer Natalie Merchant’s (it's sad she has done much poop since leaving them) haunting voice made me love this pop-orientated CD, as they were known for more mature, more political slants of their earlier works (which I do not favor as much).

No comments: