14 March 2008

Lost 4.07 Ji Yeon

I should've seen it.

I remember last season, when Lost had it's first flashforward, and Jack had a Razor mobile phone, one that did not exist in 2004. I thought that was odd, but did not make the connection that we were seeing a flashforward.

Same thing happened last night, in the Ji Yeon episode. We see Jin with an older mobile, probably early 2000. Again, I thought that was odd, but it was well towards the end when I finally realized that Jin's was a flashback, while Sun was a flashforward.

Then, I knew that the comment about the Chinese Zodiac was important, but I think some people at Lost knew most Americans would not know what time was the Year of the Dragon. So, yeah, I was fooled.

There was some great stuff in this episode, even though it was densely plotted. I love both Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim, and they have great chemistry. Their reconciliation after Juliet lets Jin know of Sun's affair was wonderfully acted.

Then there's the action on the boat, where the captain, Gault, gives both Sayid and Desmond the lowdown that one Charles Widmore has the black box of Oceanic 815, thus saying that this will prove Ben staged the the crash of 815. Though I assume that Ben will say the opposite.

Then there's the bizzare death of Regina, the girl wrapped in chains who just jumps off the boat, which seems to indicate that even close proximity to the Island can make you do weird stuff. And, of course, the return of Michael -now going by the alias of Kevin Johnson. While it's been pretty obvious since Ben claimed he had a spy on the boat back in the season opener that it was Michael, I got a feeling that he's not doing it because he's working with Ben. Well, he's working for Ben, in the same way I work for Borders -they have something I need, which is money. And I think Ben has Walt. Or the Island has Walt. Or Jacob has Walt. Or Walt is Jacob.

Hopefully, next week we get some more info on why Michael is on the boat. And if we'll find out who is the number 6 in the Oceanic Six. But, sadly, that will leave us with a five week gap before the final five episodes of the season begin (thanks, writers strike).

Still, I'll take that. Next week could've been the season finale.

No comments: