24 March 2008

Monday after last

After last week's annoucement that my company, Borders Books, was up for sale, there has been much speculation from the media and customers wondering what is going to happen.

I came back to work, feeling that this was going to be just another day. After all I should be grateful, really. Going to work and not finding a declaration of bankruptcy was nice. I mean, there is every reason to believe that with in a year, Borders will find its self in two positions. One, a very much smaller company, or two, dead as George Washington.

Still, I'm mad at my company for not learning from its mistakes. Not taking any sort of risks and letting B&N and Amazon.com walk over us like paper laid down for the puppy to piddle on.

Plus, the company has watered down the store so much, there is nothing interesting about the bookstore anymore. It’s like someone power washing an alley; it’s become pointless. Granted, that's much like what has happened to America in general, from TV to movies to Wal Marts and Cosco's.

They can spin this latest move -those goofballs in Ann Arbor, I mean - but everyone has lost confidence with Borders. Investors, customers and, sadly, employees are much aware that this company, the one I actually still like working for, has no idea, no plan to rescue it.

Maybe it should die. But, then that would be more sad than anything.

No comments: