19 March 2008

Sleep

I beginning to wonder if I suffer from some sort of sleep disorder.

I cannot remember when I’ve slept through the entire night. I have no problem falling asleep. I usually nod off, like most people, within 10 minutes of turning out the light. I then sleep very deeply, very soundly, going into REM and everything.

Then, maybe four hours later, I wake up. And then, I can’t get back to sleep. Oh, well, I sleep, but not as deep as before, and it usually falls under the “cat napping.” I fall asleep, then wake up within fifteen to twenty minutes.

This will go on until I get up at 5am. And that’s another thing, I always wake before my alarm is scheduled to come on. I guess, it could be some psychological thing, as I fear that I will oversleep and be late for work.

So I wonder, just what makes me sleep for such a short period of time. I once thought it had to do with my sugar and caffeine intake, but I make sure I cut it out over three hours before I go to bed ( because I know if I have chocolate or even a soda before I go to bed, I cannot sleep).

Even on weekends, I rarely get a full nights sleep, so I usually get by on a little over 5 hours sleep a day, though on a rare day, I’ll get caught up with maybe 7 hours.

I do have a lot of stress, but none more than most. I worry about money the most, but so does everyone else. So, I wonder what prevents me from sleeping from the time the lights go out, until the alarm (as it should) wake me up.

No comments: