06 May 2007

No Spider-Man 3 for me

I guess I really am getting old.

I tried to go and see Spider-Man 3 this past weekend. On Saturday, after spending 2 hours at Starbucks and coming back to the house to putter around (well, I did laundry), I finally decided to see the film. I went to theater at 3 to see the 3:45 show, figuring they usually let you in a half hour before the film starts. So I could wait outside for 15 minutes, brought my book. But the 3.15 and the 3.45 show were sold out, leaving the 4.15 to be the next show.

Well a 1 hour and 15 minute wait was for me just too long. It's not worth it, as far as I'm concerned. The funny thing is, I remember waiting in line to see films. Back in 1983, I think I spent two to three hours waiting for Return of the Jedi. Now, I can't be bothered.

Of course times have changed. Even though Spider-Man 3 will be on DVD by Thanksgiving, when I saw Jedi, there was no video release for it. So, in some ways, it was worth waiting line. Now, with the DVD window release getting smaller, it's become pointless.

Anyways, so today, I did the same thing. Wanted to see the 3.45 show, arrived at the theater at 3 to find the 3.15 and 3.45 were both sold out, the next show was 4.15. So, I walked away. I was, I guess, somewhat disappointed.

But then I reflect on how I no longer enjoy going to movies anymore. People talk in the movies like they are sitting in their living rooms, use their mobile phones still, even though they are asked kindly to turn them off -I mean, heaven forbid some teenage girl miss a call from her BFF.

There are other things about going to movie theaters that bother me, but the bottom line is this: I've out grown the demographics that movies are made for; and living in the 'burbs, the art house films that do appeal to me do not play here. And with gas at an all time high, I don't feel like driving 20 miles to see a small, independent film.

Plus that whole DVD window thingy.

Yes, I've become my mother.

*sigh*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must apply to me as well, every point you raise are the same ones I state as my case for not going to movies. I haven't used the DVD one yet, my line is, it'll be on television within a year. Do you think the day will come they just go straight to DVD and pass by movie theatres altogether?

Besides, there are more good reasons to stay home and watch the movie, than there are for going out... especially if you have some big cuddly carbon-based male life-form that likes to snuggle on the chesterfield while watching the television.