26 June 2009

The next day

He was eccentric, odd and probably damaged goods from his well documented childhood. He was also an extremely talented man, who entertained millions of all races and nationalities. His sudden loss -as death can be sometimes - has thrown many for a loop.

But for me, his death does not effect me in anyway. I’ve admired his talent, but was never a huge fan of his, even though his Jackson 5 days remain my favorite years. Those Motown times was, for me, were his best days. And like everyone, I too owned Thriller, but that was all.

Anyways, perhaps my dulled feelings are formed on the ghouls who’ve been out all day in search of his music, or any written word about him. Some would say it’s a tribute to him, to purchase his music today, even though forty-eight hours ago they would’ve never considered it. I just think its ghoulish.

It reminded me of when Princess Diana died, and all the mass of people who came out the next day to the book store in search of all those books about her life that most people considered trash and exploitive. You know the ones, the tomes that bordered and crossed over into expletiveness. Suddenly, after most thumbed their nose at them, they suddenly had to have them because she was dead.

We are an odd society in many ways. Over the last twenty years of his life, everyone has at one time or the other, snickered at his odd life style, and fun of his odd behavior. Some have ignored the media and the tabloids and have just concentrated on his music. Still, he was a man-boy in search of his lost childhood, and made way too many blunders in trying to get back to it. But, perhaps, he never realized that you could never go back, never change the past.

But to suddenly go out in search of CD’s, or to download songs off of iTunes at a rapid rate when just on June 24 you could careless is just...ghoulish. It’s the only word I can apply to it.

And on Monday, when all the weeklies begin publishing special issues, we’ll have people streaming in to the book store in search of them, trying to buy as much as possible (we sold out of all our newspapers today).

I’ve been catching some of the tributes to him on the networks and cable channels. One thing I’ve noticed was his desire to bring perfection to each of his performances, to each of his songs. One could say that was born in the years when he was growing up, when his father made sure the Jackson 5 were perfect. I like to think that most of that came from being a Virgo.

As one myself, we stride in the stereotypical way of trying to be perfect in everything we do. I understood those desires.

Of course, for many, buying his stuff now, 24 hours after his death is somehow a way to cope with his passing. I just don’t see it. Maybe I’m cynical. Or maybe, I just deal with reality better?

I just don’t know.

No comments: