08 April 2007

Easter musings


So, Easter.

Like some much of my life, I used to remember this day with the family. As a kid, I guess, you don't fully understand these holidays; its just a day when the family gets together. As I grew up, and lost much of my faith in organized religion, I lost interest in the holidays themselves.

Now, Easter is just another Sunday in a month of Sunday's. And it is only the one of the few days (besides Christmas and Thanksgiving) that a good percentage of stores are closed. Well, not Borders, anyways. There are only two days my company actually closes, the aftermentioned Thanksgiving and Christmas. Holidays like New Years Day, Memorial Day, Easter, 4th of July and Labor Day, the company opens with shorter hours.

So, while Target is closed today (and In and Out), I was surprised to find Starbucks open. Of course, I think that company only closes 1 time a year: Christmas. Anyway, I walked over there about noon, as Bill was still asleep! Continued reading A Team of Rivals, as per usual, nonfiction books take forever for me to read.

JT posted his short on the net that I helped with back last fall, And the Award Goes too... Funny stuff, and well crafted. JT is brillant, and deserves much wider audience. I love him and hope all my best for his success.

I made some shrimp/tuna salad for dinner (see, no big meal for the holiday) and talked to Donna, who had brunch at her house.

Surprised that Dawn actually came -along with Steven - Donna said it was a nice morning. No problems. She told me Dawn has plans to put the house on the market in the coming weeks, and that Steven has no intention of moving with his mother. So, I guess, he's starting to collect things for an apartment and save his money (though I still think he owes more than he can ever repay).

Dawn -as well as I - has made no attempt to talk to me, which is fine. I have nothing to talk to her about, really. She is living her life, I mine. We don't need to contact each other, bcause in the end, it would only end in an argument.

I don't need that.

Anyway, I guess at the end of the day, like Christmas (and even Thanksgiving to a lesser degree) and Easter mean little to me. Religion has turned its back on me (but, I suppose I've also done the same), and feel until they can accept gay people with open arms, then I cannot go to them (though my gay cousin, who comes from a religious family, still goes to church, saying he takes only what he needs from it, ignoring the rhetoric).

I wish I had something to really believe in. I do think there is a God, or something beyond this mortal coil; but what it is, I don't know. But what I do know is, that the answers do not lie within a church or a dusty tome. It exists, maybe, within our own hearts and minds.


No comments: