30 April 2007

Excelsior Ball II: Days 1 and 2

So, arrived at the hotel with Heather (who came with me after a package Rob was expecting was not arriving at the right moment) and Dale on Friday at about 5:20 -after a tortuous 2 hr drive from Rob and Beo’s (because, in theory, that trip should’ve taken not more than an hour. But we are talking LA traffic and theory usually gets thrown out the window with the bath water).

Walked into the bar and right in the arms of Will. I missed seeing him (as we spent a great time together at EB I) and if there is one person that can bring a smile to my face, its our Xanxan. I met Ste and Andrew - who, of course, I’ve seen every month since October. Not that I’m complaining. He is also the darling of the convention, and one of the most organized persons I’ve ever met. He is a master juggler and deserves all the kudos -and some additional donations - to making EB II the huge success it was.

The rest of the crew and cast began to slid in and got to meet fans such as Jamie, Daniel, Rick, and Joshua. Mike Johns (who has this fly car), Will and I went to the Rite Aid to get some beer, cause it was expensive to drink in the hotel bar.

I stayed the first night at Dan Crout’s house, getting there (after a brief “oops, shouldn’t have I turned here?”) at about 10:30. John Whiting joined us a little over an hour later (and after he went right instead of left). While waiting for John, Dan and I talked about writing, as I’ve decided I want to pitch a story idea. Dan gave me some great ideas.

So, I tried to sleep. I’m not one of those people who can fall asleep easily in strange places. I cannot sleep in moving vehicles, such as cars or airplanes. Plus, I need near silence of a grave yard to actually fall asleep. True, I do sleep with ear plugs, but that does not block out all the noise.

On the other hand, Mr. Whiting can fall asleep anywhere at the drop of hat.

So, Dan awakes us both at about 5:30 to get over to UCI for the shoot. I had decided not to shower because I had taken Joanne’s room (cause she had to drop out due to work) for Saturday night.

Like Dan and Beo have already said, the shoot on Saturday went off without a hitch. It amazes me the level of cooperation we got from the cast and crew and those loyal fans. And while the marine layer helped keep things cool for most of the shooting, by the time the clouds did lift its skirts to let the sun shine, we were near finishing.

And when the guys showed up with the stedi-cam, I think the day got more golden. The fans were delighted that they became so much apart of the shoot (and hopefully, not too much will be left on the editing room floor), and I was delighted for them, if only because only 14 months earlier, I was one sitting in the audience in awe of people like Rob, JT, Adam, Barbara, Bobby, Wayne, John, Dave Dial, Julia, Risha, and Sharon.

Anyhoo, the day was perfect and when we wrapped at noon, I think everyone was astonished at what we accomplished in that time.

I checked into my room after we returned from UCI and showered. It was great.

Went back down to the bar, where Will was and waited for the festivities to start at 3. Then it began, and people poured in: Barb, Karl, Alex, Beau, Katie, Sam, Jonathan, Wendy, Jason, Mike and many more. The panels started, the autograph line grew, and some people I only new as nicknames and silly avatars presented themselves as real people. I had always wondered what wickedwonder looked like, and then there was Wendy. The fact that she flew in from Indianapolis was cool. While she may not be a totally Midwest girl, I liked the idea that she was close enough from Chicago, that I could say I met someone close to where I used to live!

The other exciting thing of Saturday was dinner, which is getting a great deal of attention. So, because I came with Sam (who drove), James, Jonathan and Will, I tracked over to Gulliver’s. They put us outside, and as the sun went down, the aired cooled and it got chilly. Now the first thing you’ve got to know is, that since I moved here, I’ve teased a many of people who claim it gets so cold here. But, for the first time, I could say I was actually cold. Of course, I was dressed in a thin shirt, but still had jeans and my flip-flops on, but still.

So as most of the large group sat at bunch of put-together tables, James, Thomas, Will and I and then joined by Sam and Jonathan sat down for dinner. I had nothing, as I was trying to keep to my limits, but I’m glad I didn’t. The food took forever to get here, and then was way over priced. Still, it was fun listening to James, Will and Sam talk. I chimed in once in awhile, along with Thomas.

Got back in enough time to see the 7.08 rough cut. Though I had seen it back at the end of March, Rob and Dan had added many new effects. I still think its fabulous. Then we saw the preview of Odyssey, along with the opening credits. Got to say, I nearly peed in my pants. Very impressive teaser, and every time I hear the theme to Odyssey, it gets stuck in my head. All In a good way, of course.

We closed down and headed up to JayTee and Adams room for a DVD release party for his Begging for Shorts, a collection of his, well, shorts.

It was well after midnight when it began, and while we tried hard to keep the noise level down, well it was near impossible. So, after being asked to move, we all came back to the convention room and sat and talked and drank.

But by 2:30, I was tired and along with John Whiting -who was going to sleep in the bed next to mine -ambled up to the room.

It was to be a more or less, sleepless night.

To be concluded....


No comments: