17 February 2008

Conventions and Oddness

I stopped going to fan conventiosn, like Star Trek and Doctor Who, years ago. Part of it, was, I guess, the thrill was gone. Sort of once you meet the stars of your favorite shows, what's more to do?

Of course, I know a lot of people go to meet other people. And if you go to a conventionss alot during a year, you're bound to see the same faces. Thus, friendships are formed for the the mutal love of a TV show.

But somewhere, for me, they stopped becoming fun. I got bored with the same questions asked again and again of these stars I would see. I got bored with folks who became so obsessed with their favorite show, that the only conversations they could have with other people where things about these shows. Try to strike up a conversation about, I don't know, the weather or the price of coffee in South America, you get blank stares.

And I will not, ever, get caught up in a pointless disscussion about who would win in a fight, Kirk or Picard.

So, I stepped back.

And for the most part, I don't regret it.

Today, I went to one. It was a Doctor Who convention, but we had a table set up for HF Productions, in the ever hopeful desire to find new fans. We screened an episode of The Helena Chronicles and pitched free DVD's.

But one part, I realized these conventions haven't changed in the 20 plus years when I started to go. They are filled with stereotypes that many attach to sci fi fans, and they're still asking the same questions I did back when I called Matthew Waterhouse (then playing Adric on the Tom Baker fronted Doctor Who) an intergalactic space wimp. Very pretentious of me. To this day, I regret saying it.

There is a sense of family, which I get, with these fans. But like a relative that has over stayed their welcome, at times I feel the same way toward these Who and Trek fans. I like talking to these stars, just like anyone else, but the difference for me is that I like to know them as people. Not like Gods, as some of these people do.

A funny thing about the dealer room, we were right next to David Gerrold, who everyone knows as the creator of the tribbles on Star Trek. Last year, the writer got to adapt and direct his long gestating AIDS alagory tale Blood and Fire for the fan series Star Trek: New Voyages. During production, two former HF actors were to appear in that episode, one was Bobby Rice and the other, the talented Rebecca Wood. Something -and to this day, I still don't know the full details, though I'm guessing it had something to do with scheduling - happened that forced Ms. Woood off the project (fired would be the term). Anyways, tensions between HF and NV cast and crew have always been a bit tenious, but since this time, the crews of both fan produced series have kept their distances from each other. Of course, one is produced here in LA, while the other in New York.

Still, the bitter cold front sat there today. We of HF apparently were not going to introduce ourselves, and Mr. Gerrold -who by today, realized who we were - did nothing either. It was odd, really.

Grudges I have held before, but this seems dumb. But, I must remember, this is Hollywood.



1 comment:

tornwordo said...

I always loved Star Trek, but never became obsessed with it. And I don't miss working in Hollywood. (though i do miss the climate, lol)