17 January 2007

T.R. Knight on Ellen: Washington did call him a faggot

Watched The Ellen DeGeneres Show today, where she had Grey's Anatomy star T.R. Knight as a guest. This is his first one-on-one interview since an early-October incident on the set of his series forced him publically to anounce that he was gay.

Recalling Isaiah Washington's original verbal clash with Patrick Dempsey, Knight says the former "referred to me as a faggot," and loud enough for everyone to overhear. "I could've just let it slide and not said anything," Knight tells DeGeneres during the sit-down, "but it became important," as word spread and the press latched on.

But Washington, on Monday's Golden Globe Award show told Access Hollywood, apparently does not remember that way, telling the entertaimnet show that "There is no way I could do anything so vile" thing as call someone a faggot.

His statement appears to have enraged another co-star, Katherine Heigl, who told AH that Washington's revisting of the incident -and saying the faggot word again- continues to hurt Knight, who was in the same press room at the time. "I'm going to be really honest right now. [Isaiah] needs to just not speak in public. Period," the actress said in an interview that aired Tuesday. "That did not need to be said, I’m not OK with it. Drawing attention to it and saying the word again is just unnecessary."

"Yeah, he denied that he said it," Knight marvels to Ellen. "I don’t know what to say, really, about that."

What shocks me more -beyond Washington's white-washing of the incident -is how ABC and Grey's creator, Shonda Rhimes, have kept quiet about it. As Ellen pointed out today, the word faggot is a hate full word and is used way to often by people who then backpedal by saying it was "in the heat of the moment."

No matter what you're feelings are on about gay people, using such word and then lying you ever used the word, makes you look like an ass. The only thing Washington can do -if ABC will not do a thing -is to publically apologize. I’m not saying he needs to go down to West Hollywood and walk among the gays, but acknowledge that you said the word.

Lying is bad enough, covering it up with more lies makes you a fool and a idiot.

Accountability is all I ask.

1 comment:

Shae said...

I do not understand why adults cannot accept a persons achievments without delving into what goes on in their personal lives. I am not gay, but I have many gay friends and do not judge them by what goes on behind closed doors-not that it is any of my business anyway.I accept them for who they are. I still like Elton Johns songs and I try not to miss an episode of Ellen, their sexual preferences do not make a difference to me, I never did like George Michael-so that is null anyway) and should not make a difference to anyone else.Whether they come out or not should be their own choice, not forced. People really need to start minding their own business and stop throwing stones.We ALL have skeletons in our closets!