08 December 2007

Starlog #362 profiles Rob Caves Star Trek: Hidden Frontier/Odyssey/Helena Chronicles



Back in the late 1970's, I became aware of this magazine due to its converge of many science fiction productions, especially Star Trek (from which it was born from in 1976). In late 1979, I began buying the then monthly (it started out as a quarterly) magazine because it had the episode guide of Battlestar Galactica, which was becoming a hallmark of the magazine - as there was no internet and TV Tome to speak of). For probably about 10 years or more, I got Starlog monthly -I had a subscription to it for a number of years.

As the years went on, and the magazine got more expensive (it was not supported by ad revenues) I began to find alternative resources for my love of science fiction info.

By the mid 90's, with access to the internet, the magazine was no longer seen by me as a good resource for latest info on sci fi movies and TV. I still looked through it, but most of the info I got was being gleamed from other resources.

Now, I occasionally go through the magazine at work. I still find, once in a while, a great article to read. And at 7.99 an issue (I think I bought my first one for like 1.95), it has to be a special issue for me to actually buy it.

Now the grandfather of all science fiction orientated magazine (celebrating 30 years in 2006), I will promote it once more as it has done a brilliant article on Rob Caves Star Trek: Hidden Frontier web based fan series. It’s a detailed story about the beginnings of Hidden Frontier, through to its end last summer and talks about the new projects, including Odyssey, The Helena Chronicles and crossover - The Orphans of War - with the Scottish fan series Star Trek: Intrepid.

Of all the stuff done over the last year or so with HF (stories on the NBC Today Show, a story done by the local ABC affiliate here, the LA Times article, and the recent British GMTV story that featured KTLA’s Ross King), this one article boiled everything down into a cohesive story about the web series. Writer Daniel Dickholtz wrote a great article, and one that really is fair and does not make us look silly. He also got all the details right. Got to love that.

Thanks Daniel.

No comments: