26 December 2007

And then it passes

Christmas 2007 passed in a very delightful day, spending most of the day with my cousin, his wife and two kids in Murrieta, located about an hour south of here (and thus, it is an hour north of San Diego).

Getting there, however, proved interesting. High winds caused a some traffic problems just after I got on the 15 from the 10. For a good stretch, there is a lot of open farm land on the eastern side of the 15, and man was the wind going, shaking the car and blowing debris all over the place. Just past the 60, I was forced to slow down. At first, I thought people were smart and were reducing speed with all the dust. Which made me laugh, cause people drive like 85 mph no matter what.

Actually, it turned out to an accident. What I can guess is that the dust and dirt must've been so thick that it blocked out the 15. And for most people, who follow way to close to each other no matter what the condition (I think I mentioned this), someone must've stopped too quickly, causing a chain reaction accident. I counted at least 6 cars with damage to both front and back of their cars. While there was firetrucks, I saw no ambulance, so hopefully no one was injured.

Rotten Christmas, though.

Anyway, as I finally passed the accident, the dust whipped up again and became so thick, I could only see two cars ahead of me. That is the first time I've really expirenced these winds. It was really frightening, and you could easily see this accident happening.

It delayed me by about 10 minutes, but the rest of the way proved uneventful.

Return trip took longer. Now, there are three freeways that lead towards LA when folks are coming back north on the 15. However, most take the first one, which is the 91. And it was heelish stop and go for about 17 miles to the 91.

Once past the 91, traffic opened up and passed the 60 with no traffic and contiuned on 15 to the 10. But just past the 60, there was another delay, as it appeared someone else be came a victim of a car accident (an flipped over, because by the time I passed it, the flat bed truck had the SUV on it, and it was upside down). After that, it was free sailing. And it only took me an 1:45 to get home.

Today, work (boring, yet very hard to change all the stuff and get the large number of laydowns out) and I watched the Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Voyage of the Damned, off of Youtube.

I liked it, though I think Russell Davies has a thing for robots, as this was the third Christmas special to feature them. Still, an amazing episode.

Though, a bit of advice, if you are ever involved with an alien invasion and a guy named the Doctor shows up saying he's going to save your life, I would run. Death haunts the Doctor like stale perfume.

I wonder what the New Year will bring?


note: this is my 500th post since I started working on it, some 2 1/2 years ago.

No comments: