15 December 2008

Storm Clouds over California



The first -and probably the worst (as in rain) - of supposed three storms hitting the coast of California this week. I spent the day yesterday at Disneyland, on a day that promised (according to the news) to be cloudy and chilly, with sprinkles. It ended up be a mostly sunny day, even though it was cool -temps in the upper 50's to low 60's.

However, over night, it began to rain. And it rained pretty steady all day long. It should put a damper on Christmas shoppers at the outside mall I work at. The rain was bad, but it was also a raw, cool day with temps only in the upper 40's. These dark clouds (above) are from my house (the first 2 going west, while the bottom is facing south) when I got home from work, just before the day grew dark.

More rain, and colder weather is due midweek. Snow levels could drop to about a 1,000 feet, which means I could see some the white stuff on my front lawn, and not the on the foothills and mini-mountains of the Angeles National Forest. This is a very rare thing, snow to this level (my town ranges from 1,000 to 1,700 feet), so I'm guessing snow is in my near future.

So, even though winter does not begin until Sunday, the first big storm of that season is making sunny California rather like the rest of the country, cold and wet.

No comments: